Contact us

The Social Report captures information about a wide range of areas that are important to New Zealanders. The Ministry of Social Development is interested in the views of individuals and groups and what they consider to be important for social well-being. Comments and inquiries can be made to:

The Social Report Project Manager
Ministry of Social Development
PO Box 1556
Wellington 6140


For technical queries please email:

Making a Complaint

The Ministry of Social Development is committed to delivering first class services and providing dependable advice across all our business units.

If you think we are not meeting this standard we would like to hear from you. Not only so we can put right your complaint, but to improve our service for everyone.

What is a complaint?

A complaint is an expression of dissatisfaction when the Ministry has not met your expectation.

Your complaint may be about:

  • practice
  • process
  • policy
  • or this website.

How to make a complaint

If you have a complaint about this website you can contact us by:

Calling: 64 4 916 3300

Ministry of Social Development
PO Box 1556
New Zealand 6140


Or Fax us: 64 4 918 0099.

When you make a complaint please tell us:

  • your name
  • your address and contact details
  • details about the complaint.

We ask for your contact details so we can respond directly to you. However if you wish to make a complaint anonymously it will be treated with the same level of importance.

How long will it take?

We will endeavour to resolve your complaint immediately.

If we need to work with others to resolve your complaint it may take longer. You will always be advised in writing when your complaint has been received.

Our commitment to resolving your complaint

All complaints are taken seriously and handled with immediate priority.

We will ensure you are treated with respect and in a professional manner.

Who is responsible for the complaint?

Your complaint will be assigned to the appropriate business unit within the Ministry and escalated accordingly.

If you are not happy with the outcome of your complaint

We will do our best to ensure that you are satisfied with the outcome of your complaint investigation.

However if you are not there are other people you may choose to contact such as your local Member of Parliament, the Minister of Social Development and Employment, the Ombudsman or the Privacy Commissioner.